ESTONIA - Kuressaare Gymnasium
Kuressaare Gymnasium (KG) is biggest secondary public school in county center, the school has 1005 students from 7 to 18 years old, 80 teachers and four educational support specialists. KG is situated on the biggest island of Estonia, Saaremaa. Kuressaare Gymnasium aims to support school staff and students to reach their maximum capacity of skills and abilities.
The support system of school above and beyond regular learning activities consists of different departments:
1. Recreational activities and youth work centre Inspira.
2. Swimming trainings in pool area.
3. Library as a learning centre.
4. Information and administration department.
5. Training and educational centre Osilia.
6. Educational support centre Amare.
For students with learning disabilities the school has sufficient supportive measures, such as:
1. Four educational support specialists: speech therapist, psychologist, social pedagogue and special educational teacher.
2. Methods for supportive learning environment: study-at-home classes, after school classes, study support group, learning support group, "happiness" room with assistant teacher for peaceful learning environment and student support roundtable.
3. Methods for individual educational support: subject teacher consultation classes, individual learning plan and individual curriculum.
Kuressaare Gymnasium also offers a wide range of after school recreational activities in areas of sport, dance and music. In-depth study of mandatory subjects in primary school level and creativity building activities are supported by 16 elective courses. For special educational needs (SEN) students (mainly students with learning and educational difficulties) from grade 2 to 4 is formed educational support group and from grade 6 to 9 is formed similar groups only in mathematics and in Estonian language.
In gymnasium level the students are divided by three field of studies:
1. Humanities and social sciences - theatre, debating and media studies.
2. Nature and physical sciences - practical biophysics-chemistry and robotics.
3. Applied sciences - economy, entrepreneurial studies, business English, national defence, handiwork, project studies.